Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Plasma accelerators rule!

I was extremely happy to find out that on the next issue of Scientific American (February 2006), there will be an article on my research field, Plasma Accelerators! The field is relatively new: although the first ideas for compact particle accelerators were thrown in the early 1970s, the experimental science took off at the 1980s, so the field is really only 25 years old.

It is the first time an article on Plasma Accelerators will be published on SciAm. It is written by Chen Joshi from UCLA, one of the experimental fathers of the field which I know myself too. He will be mentioning several experiments that have been recently very succesful, such as the Nature-published laser wakefield experiments (which I thoroughly presented in my group meeting) and the experiments at SLAC with which our group is heavily involved.

Stay tuned, as I'll be posting more comments when the isssue is finally out.

Categories