Pages

Monday, December 19, 2005

Sunrise vs Sunset

Since my coming here in Greece I am heavily Jetlagged. I sleep at 10-11pm, and wake up at 6am. Actually, these are the times at which my advisor Tom sleeps and waked up, but they are not at all normal for me!

Anyways, back to the topic. Waking up so early has allowed me to watch the sunrises of the last 2-3 days. I think I have only seen 3 or so sunrises in my life (I mean actually watching the sun go up from behind the horizon, not just timewise). I still think that sunsets are more beautiful: partly because teh air is warm when the sun sets, and this creates nice effects like the reddish-pink skies and the huge size of the sun disk. In the sunrise the atmosphere is cold and static, so nothing exciting happens. Yet there is a certain magic associated with the sunrise. It makes me feel unique. During a sunset I usually see other people around, and even if I don't I know people are watching, just because everyone is awake at that time, so someone must be watching. However during the sunrise I feel very lonely; I know most people are sleeping, and most of the ones that are awake are probably too busy booting up their daily life. That leaves very few people, including me, trying to make some sense out of the colors that appear of the sky. And I have to make sense of that alone. I like that feeling...

Categories